Do you have a cat? Here are dietary guidelines to keep your feline healthy.
1. A little tuna is permissible. Too much could lead to mercury poisoning and malnutrition.
2. Chives, onions, and garlic can cause intestinal upset.
3. Cheese and milk could trigger diarrhea.
4. Whisky, beer, and wine can lead to coma and death, even though your kitty has "nine lives."
5. Grapes and raisins could induce vomiting.
6. Caffeine can cause muscle tremor.
7. No chocolate. It can cause irregular heart beat (arrythmias).
8. Candy and gum could result in liver failure and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
9. Fat from bones could induce GI (gastrointestinal) upset and vomiting.
10.Salmonella and E-Coli bacteria could contaminate raw eggs and egg whites, leading to diarrhea. .
11. Raw meat and fish could decrease blood thiamine.
12. No dog food for your kitty. Your cat could become emaciated.
13. Liver should be given sparingly. It might cause Vitamin A toxicity.
14. Overfeeding results in obesity which may lead to diabetes.
15. Yeast dough might trigger abdominal pain. It is metabolized to alcohol, and the result is alcohol poisoning. (hic.)
16. Human medication should never be give to you feline. Poisoning is a concern.
17. Don't leave you kitchen pantry open. Cats have a keen sense of smell.
18. If you suspect your cat has been poisoned, call 888-426-4435, the Animal Control Poison Center. The phone line is open continuously.
19. Finally, cats need a balanced diet, just as for humans. Cats are carnivores.
"Time spent with cats is never wasted." Sigmund Freud.